EnerQuality celebrated and recognized special projects that demonstrated the best of home building during its second virtual event.
The ceremony hosted over 200 building professionals representing HBAs, municipalities, and over 100 companies, including home builders, architects, engineers, energy advisors, building officials, tradespeople, manufacturers, and product and service providers. The winners also show a cross-section of the building industry with newer builders alongside established, generational building companies.
“Increasingly, homeowners’ consciousness about their environmental footprint shapes their housing priorities. The EQ Awards showcase how the industry is building homes that use less energy, are more comfortable, with better indoor air quality and lower emissions overall,” says Ms. Curtis. “As the market shifts to focus on carbon, we expect to see even more builders certifying their homes and building better than code.”
2020 EQ Award Winners:
- Best Green Marketing: Terra View Homes
- Builder Achievement: Doug Tarry – Doug Tarry Ltd.
- Building Innovation – Low: Far Sight Homes – Beeton Creek
- Champion Of the Year: Marc Huminilowycz – Sideroad Communications
- Enbridge – Optimum Home: Mattamy Homes Canada
- Enbridge – Savings by Design (Affordable): Spotlight Developments Inc.
- Enbridge – Savings by Design (Commercial): Drewlo Holdings
- Enbridge – Savings by Design (Residential): Dietrich Homes
- Energy Advisor of The Year: Huso Ashimi – Building Knowledge Canada
- EnerQuality’s ENERGY STAR® For New Homes – Large Volume Builder: Activa
- EnerQuality’s ENERGY STAR® For New Homes – Mid Volume Builder: Huron Creek Developments
- EnerQuality’s ENERGY STAR® For New Homes – Small/Custom Builder: Terra View Homes
- Green Renovation Project of The Year: RND Construction Ltd. – Art Deco
- HBA of the Year: Durham Region HBA
- Impact Award: Tamarack Homes
- Leader of the Year: Susan Cudahy – Enbridge Gas Inc.
- Licensed Professional of The Year: Wil Beardmore – Bluewater Energy
- Net Zero Builder: Terra View Homes – Hart Village
- Ontario Green Builder of The Year – Low-Rise: Minto Communities Canada
- Ontario Green Builder of The Year – Mid/High-Rise: Doug Tarry Ltd.
- Product Innovation – Low-Rise (OBC Part 9): Panasonic Canada Inc. – Nanoe™ X Technology
- Product Innovation – High-Rise (OBC Part 3): SageGlass – Sageglass Harmony
- Rising Star Award: Austin Todd – Evergreen Building Science
- People’s Choice: Great Gulf
- Innovation Gauntlet: Panasonic Canada Inc. and Swidget Corporation – Panasonic and Swidget Smart Ventilation Solution
The 2020 EQ Leader of the Year was awarded to Susan Cudahy. This award recognizes an individual or company for their commitment, advocacy and leadership in driving the growth of energy efficient housing in Ontario in 2020. Susan leads the Residential New Construction team at Enbridge, where she is the Supervisor of Strategic Builder Relations. In 2020, Susan and her team enabled nearly 1,500 learners to take training programs to help their organizations build more energy efficient buildings.
“This is an incredible honour to be nominated for this award and one that I truly would not have received without the full support of Enbridge Gas and our entire Residential New Construction team. We were so pleased that we could take a challenging situation like the pandemic and turn it into a province-wide opportunity to advance the training and education of our Builders,” says Cudahy.
Tamarack Developments Corp is the 2020 recipient of the Impact Award. This EnerQuality-selected award is given to a builder that has made significant long-term voluntary progress in reducing carbon emissions and showed outstanding achievements through energy efficiency and sustainable practices.