Heritage Toronto releases nominees for Architecture Category Awards

Heritage Toronto released its William Greer Architectural Conservation and Craftsmanship category nominees for the 41st Annual Heritage Toronto Awards. With sixteen nominations for projects ranging in scale and time period, the past year has been a big year for architectural conservation in Toronto.

This category honours owners who have undertaken projects to restore or adapt buildings or structures that have been in existence for 40 years or more or are included on the City of Toronto’s Inventory of Heritage Properties. In addition to the quality of craftsmanship, appropriateness of materials, and the use of sound conservation principles, the jury considers how well the project meets current needs while maintaining the integrity of the original design vision.

The Heritage Toronto Awards and Kilbourn Lecture will be unveiled on the evening of October 13, 2015.

The 2015 Heritage Toronto Awards nominees in the William Greer Architectural Conservation and Craftsmanship category are:


Jean Tweed Centre, Cumberland House

3111 Lakeshore Boulevard West

Commissioned by: City of Toronto

Architectural/Design Firm: Thomas Brown Architects Inc.

Craftsperson/Contractor: Clifford Restoration


This project involved rehabilitation of the masonry, chimney and other exterior features of Cumberland House, a Queen Anne style residence built in the late 19th century for the first superintendent of the Lakeshore Asylum in Mimico.


Bronze Entranceway

21 Dundas Square

Commissioned by: HNR Properties Ltd.

Architectural/Design Firm: ERA Architects Inc.

Craftspersons/Contractors: Clifford Restoration Ltd.; Heather and Little Ltd.; Stanley Doors


Part of the rehabilitation of the Hermant Building, this project recreated the bronze doors and entranceway that had been installed around 1935, and then replaced and lost in a later renovation of the building.


Apartment Building

100 Spadina Road

Commissioned by: Park Property Management Inc.

Architectural/Design Firm: ERA Architects Inc.

Craftspersons/Contractors: Ontech Building Consultants Inc.; Brook Restoration


The aim of this project was to restore the exterior appearance of this 1969 heritage-designated building designed by Modernist architect Uno Prii. The project included repairing the structural integrity of the balconies, replacing balcony railings, and repainting the exterior.


Sanctuary – Trinity-St. Paul’s United Church

427 Bloor Street West

Commissioned by: Tafelmusik Baroque Orchestra and Chamber Choir; Trinity-St. Paul’s United Church

Architectural/Design Firm: ERA Architects Inc.

Craftsperson/Contractor: Clifford Restoration Ltd.; S.W.S. Engineering Inc.; Anne Minor Performance Consultants; Sound Space Design


The Trinity-St. Paul’s building was erected in 1889 and has undergone several renovations over the years.  This latest project included significant upgrades to accessibility, stage size, and acoustics in the Sanctuary, part of a multi-phase project to better support multiple uses of the building by the congregation and the larger community.


St. Augustine’s Seminary of Toronto

2661 Kingston Road

Commissioned by:  the Roman Catholic Episcopal Corporation for the Diocese of Toronto

Architectural/Design Firms: Bogdan Newman Caranci Inc.; Philip Goldsmith Architect

Craftspersons/Contractors: Roof Tile Management Inc.; Read Jones Christoffersen Ltd.


St. Augustine’s Seminary was built around 1913 in the Beaux-Arts style, using materials and techniques that were new to architecture at the time. The project involved replacing some of the original materials, such as cast stone decorative pieces, that had not stood the test of time, as well as work on the Seminary’s main entrance, and installing new metalwork on the dome.


The Munk School of Global Affairs

315 Bloor Street West

Commissioned by: University of Toronto

Architectural/Design Firms: KPMB Architects; ERA Architects Inc.

Craftspersons/Contractors: Crossey Engineering; Blackwell Bowick Partnership Ltd.


This project undertook an adaptive reuse of the 1909 Dominion Meteorological Building, and the adjacent Transit House to create expanded facilities for the Munk School. Conservation work included restoration of interior and exterior masonry, repair of the original windows and restoration of an existing heritage staircase.


CNR Office Building

398 Front Street East

Commissioned by: Dundee Kilmer Developments LP

Architectural/Design Firms: architectsAlliance; ERA Architects Inc.

Craftspersons/Contractors: EllisDon Ledcor PAAV Inc.; Trow Associates


The former CNR office, built in 1923, is one of two original buildings which will serve as the gateway to the new Canary District being developed in the industrial West Don Lands. The exterior of the CN office was restored and the interior has been transformed into an open, two-storey gallery, restaurant/event space, a component of a larger, modern complex.


Artscape Youngplace

180 Shaw Street

Commissioned by: Toronto Artscape Inc.

Architectural/Design Firms: Teeple Architects Inc.; Goldsmith Borgal & Company Ltd.

Craftsperson/Contractor: Clifford Restoration Ltd.; CPE Structural Consultants Ltd.


The 1914 Givins-Shaw Street Public School was transformed into a community arts and culture facility, with studios and exhibition space.  Conservation work included restoration and stabilization of the deteriorated sandstone cornices and window sills, installation of replica windows, stabilization of structural steel columns, and preservation of interior features such as the grand central staircase.


60 Atlantic Avenue

60 Atlantic Avenue

Commissioned by: Hullmark Developments Ltd.

Architectural/Design Firms: Quadrangle Architects Ltd.; Philip Goldsmith Architect

Craftspersons/Contractors: Read Jones Christoffersen Ltd.; First Gulf


The transformation of this 1890s industrial warehouse rehabilitated the existing building, maintaining heritage features such as brick walls, beams and the original street entrance.  The interior was retrofitted, and the size and functionality of the site increased with a corten steel and glass addition.


Little Trinity Church Annex

403 King Street East

Commissioned by: Little Trinity Anglican Church

Architectural/Design Firms: DTAH Architects Ltd.; ERA Architects Inc.

Craftsperson/Contractor: Historic Restoration Inc.


This project redeveloped a row of derelict Georgian-style townhouses into a new administrative and meeting space for the church community. The mid-19th-century façades on King Street were restored, while the back of the heritage property was replaced with a new two-storey volume that maintained the original roof-line and east gable form of the building, while allowing a contemporary addition to emerge from the rear.


The Aperture Room, Thornton-Smith Building

340 Yonge Street

Commissioned by: Toronto Camera Centres Ltd.

Architectural/Design Firms: George Robb Architects, Straticom Planning Associates

Craftspersons/Contractors:  Blackwell Engineering; Artistic Skylight Domes Ltd.; Roof Tile Management Inc.; Townley Masonry


The Thornton-Smith Building is a three-storey commercial building designed by John Lyle in 1922.  This project created the Aperture Room, an event venue on the third floor that retains many of the heritage elements of the building, including the interior brick and an original skylight.


Toronto Bell Cote – Sukyo Mahikari Centre for Spiritual Development

691 Scarlett Road

Commissioned by: Sukyo Mahikari Canada

Architectural/Design Firms: Takashi Tsuji Architect; William N. Greer

Craftspersons/Contractors:  Heritage Mills Historic Building Conservation Inc.; Sonterlan Corp.; EGD Glass Studio


Thought to be the only wood-framed church in Toronto, this 1895 building was restored and repurposed for the Sukyo Mahikari Centre for Spiritual Development. The project included a new foundation and basement, steel framing, and wood restoration throughout.


Landing Stage, Ward’s Island

Commissioned by: City of Toronto

Architectural/Design Firm: Steven Burgess Architects

Craftsperson/Contractor: Clifford Restoration Ltd.


The Landing Stage, erected in the early 1900s, was originally located at the Eastern Gap on Ward’s Island, as a shelter for passengers awaiting cruise boats.  By the 1970s it had deteriorated so badly that it was taken down.  When the Ward’s Island community decided to create a public square in partnership with Toronto Parks, Forestry and Recreation, the Landing Stage was recreated as a key component, using restored wrought iron pieces that had survived as well as replica pieces.


Private Residence

49 Weybourne Crescent

Commissioned by: Christina and Cam Mingay

Architectural/Design Firm: Murakami Design

Craftsperson: The Arceo Group Inc.


The owners of this 1922 Arts and Crafts residence undertook considerable renovations to restore the fabric of this house.  Work included the addition of a front porch and a single-storey rear extension, as well as the retention or upgrading of materials and surfaces.


Private Residence

10 McKenzie Avenue

Commissioned by: Lynn Bilodeau and Jacques Bernie

Architectural/Design Firm: gh3

Craftsperson: Wilson Contract Management; Pierre Morin Fenêtres MQ


This project aimed to modernize and enhance the function of the interior of a 1908 Rosedale residence, while preserving the character of the exterior and the streetscape.   Conservation work included the restoration of leaded glass windows, wooden window sills and architraves, and the refurbishment of the window hardware.


Private Residence

17 Berryman Street

Commissioned by: DC Development Ltd.

Architectural/Design Firms: Climan Green Liang Architects Inc.; Joan Burt Architect


This detached two-storey Victorian house is located in the Yorkville-Hazelton Heritage Conservation District.  While the front façade of the house was restored, the interior was modernized, with a rear, three-storey addition set back to maintain the perception of the original scale from the street.

You might also like