LEED Platinum awarded to DiscoveryGreen (January 25, 2010)
Morguard Investments Limited, Bunting Coady Architects and Discovery Parks have been awarded a Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) CS Platinum Designation for the DiscoveryGreen building in Burnaby, B.C.
Constructed in 2008 by Stuart Olson Construction, designed by Bunting Coady Architects and engineered by Cobalt Engineering, Read Jones Christoffersen, with landscape architects Eckford and Associates, the DiscoveryGreen building features:
- 100 per cent green electricity through the purchase of Green-e/EcoLogo Certified Renewable Energy Certificates;
- rain water harvesting that reduces water consumption by up to 45 per cent;
- variable refrigerant flow technology providing low cost heating and cooling;
- multi HVAC systems controlling ambient air quality;
- Encelium lighting systems reducing energy use by up to 79 per cent;
- sun shades, high efficiency window glass and lighting fixtures providing lower glare and shadow to improve occupier comfort;
- all furniture, carpets and upholstery low in off-gassing volatile organic compounds;
- building design ensuring an abundance of natural light with pleasant outdoor green spaces;
- fitness facility and walking paths;
- use of FSC certified wood; use of locally made products and materials, including recycled materials in many products and interior finishes.
Owned and managed by Morguard Investments and developed by Discovery Parks, DiscoveryGreen is leased by HSBC Bank Canada and is one of the only two buildings in British Columbia to receive the coveted LEED-CS Platinum designation.