The Ontario Association of Architects (OAA) has announced the winners of its 2022 Design Excellence Awards, as well as the recipients of this year’s OAA Service Awards.
This year’s selection of eight winners includes building types ranging from libraries and learning institutions to striking residences and performing arts venues in Southwestern Ontario and Northwestern Texas.
Chosen by a jury of design experts who first narrowed 80 eligible submissions into a list of 17 finalists, these projects were judged on criteria such as creativity, context, sustainability, good design/good business, and legacy:
- Buddy Holly Hall of Performing Arts and Sciences (Lubbock, Texas) by Diamond and Schmitt Architects Incorporated (Design Architect), Parkhill (Architect of Record), and MWM Architects, Inc. (Associate Architect);
- Centennial College Downsview Campus Centre for Aerospace and Aviation (Toronto, Ontario) by MacLennan Jaunkalns Miller Architects Ltd. (MJMA) In association with Stantec Architecture Ltd.;
- Clearview Public Library, Stayner Branch (Stayner, Ontario) by Lebel & Bouliane Inc.;
- The Springdale Library and Komagata Maru Park (Brampton, Ontario) by RDH Architects Inc.;
- Tile House (Toronto, Ontario) by Kohn Shnier Architects;
- Tom Patterson Theatre (Stratford, Ontario) by Hariri Pontarini Architects;
- Tommy Thompson Park Entrance Pavilion (Toronto, Ontario) by DTAH Architects Limited; and
- University College Revitalization (Toronto, Ontario) by Kohn Shnier Architects in association with E.R.A. Architects Inc.
These projects, and the teams behind them, will be highlighted at the Celebration of Excellence held at the Toronto Event Centre on May 12 at 7 pm, as well as streamed live publicly on the OAA’s YouTube channel.
At the event, the OAA will also reveal which projects are the recipients of the Michael V. and Wanda Plachta Award, the Lieutenant Governor’s Award for Design Excellence in Architecture, and the People’s Choice Award.
The Celebration of Excellence will also showcase Smart Density, winners of Best Emerging Practice—a biennial award for a newer firm that demonstrates a clear vision, well-articulated goals, and proven effective strategies.
The following OAA Service Award-winners will also be honoured at Conference, during a special Recognition Lunch event on Wednesday, May 11:
- John van Nostrand, who will receive the Order of da Vinci for demonstrating exceptional leadership in the profession, education, and/or in the community;
- Diarmuid Nash, who will receive Lifetime Design Achievement, as an architect with a career-long commitment to the promotion and achievement of architectural design excellence; and
- Camille Mitchell, who will receive the G. Randy Roberts Service Award, in recognition of being an OAA member providing extraordinary service to the membership, for ‘behind-the-scenes’ dedication and action, as well as employing the skills and the energy to get things done.
In addition, the OAA Technology Program Student Awards will be spotlighted, and Eberhard Zeidler will be posthumously added to the Honour Roll, which recognizes prominent deceased members of the architectural profession.
More information will be shared on the OAA’s Awards page.